Day 3: Kale, Potato, and Cheddar BakeThis dish ought to be a side dish, but I promise you, if you have leftover sitting around, you'll end up making a meal out of it. It is really delicious. It is better the second day, if it makes it that long, because the garlic has a chance to meld with the potatoes and kale.
|The potatoes are finally ready to harvest! This are our first of the season. How great to have potatoes and kale and garlic all ready at the same time!|
What you need:
- Medium-sized casserole dish
- 5 medium red potatoes, washed, but not peeled
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
How to prepare:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or spray sides and bottom of a medium-sized casserole dish.
- Slice the potatoes into approximately 1/4" thick slices.
- Arrange potato slices on the bottom of the casserole dish. Sprinkle diced garlic over potatoes.
- Cut butter into slices, then quarter each slice and dot the tops of the potatoes with the pieces of butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake potatoes for 45 minutes.
- Prepare kale by washing, removing ribs, and cutting or tearing into 2" pieces.
- Boil kale in 2 cups water with 1 tsp. salt for 6-10 minutes.
- Drain kale in colander, saving liquid for later consumption, if desired. Spin kale or pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Layer kale over potatoes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over kale.
- Bake for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft and cheese is all melted. Serves 6.
Did you miss Day 1: Kale Lasagna?
Did you miss Day 2: Disappearing Kale Chips?